Under the name Elenhank Designers, Inc., the husband-and-wife team of architect Henry Kluck (1922–2007) and artist Eleanor McMaster Kluck (b. 1919)—whose nicknames combine to form the company's moniker—took a leading role in the direction of mid-century American textile design and production. Both Illinois natives with parallel design educations in Chicago, the Klucks established their business there in 1948. By 1955, their screen-printed fabric production eclipsed their block-printed output, and by the early 1960s, Elenhank Designers was represented in showrooms throughout the United States and overseas.
A panel of Metropolis is in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago (1985.695). This panel of Metropolis, with its dense, abstract pattern that evokes a modern cityscape, hung in the firm’s Chicago studio and may have been a prototype of this particular design.